Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hmm, this is tough because I'm not a big fan of looking at my own work (I know, not exactly a good thing). But I think for this purpose I will assess my close reading essay. In all, I would myself a middle because there are strong elements to my paper, such as explaining and relating sources to the overall theme - making them have a purpose. On the otherhand, I would like to revise the work and try to make it a little more focused or succint. Some parts may seem unclear because of the way I stated certain ideas, but I think my ideas are on the right track, and I've provided in depth analysis for my argument. I have attempted to explain why this subject material is important to the readers, but if revised, I could make my reasoning clearer. Overall, I want to make my paper clearer and more fluid. Getting the audience to see why Krakauer's epigraphs were so important and influential in his writing is crucial to my purpose; along with being able to see a connection out of context to the outside world.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like our pieces are pretty similar! I too want to create a more fluid feel throughout my writing and I think that is what I struggle most with in English. Rachel always is emphasizing how important it is that we have a PURPOSE and I think that is the one thing that makes an essay good or not. It's hard sometimes to be a critic to your own writing, and sometimes even harder to let yourself be vulnerable and reveal that writing to others; however, it is necessary in order to better yourself as a writer! This is something I need to practice as well... When Rachel was talking today in class about why is this important, what effect does it have on the reader, and why should they care - it kind of made me think about how little kids act when they ask questions. It starts out with a single question - "why is the ocean blue?" and you answer "why, because the sky is blue and the water of the ocean reflects the sky" and the child will keep asking why, why, why, why, and why? Like a never-ending cycle, and really, when you think about it, there is a "why question" to everything in life. I don't believe we should implement this exact process in our writing by saying "because, because, because...." but I think it is something we can think about while writing. By opening the doors of curiosity and addressing these various questions, I think the reader will gain a lot of insight though our papers that maybe they didn't even know they were curious about!

    ReplyDelete