Friday, March 26, 2010

The Simpsons

So I started my project thinking I was going to write about Jaws, but I wasn't able to narrow my topic down to a strong, social issue worth arguing. My alternative is now the Simpsons (Laura, Lindsey mentioned that you were doing that as well so I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to copy you! I just hope I can argue it as well as you can!) The main argument of my paper is going to deal with the family issues expressed in the episodes and how it was a drastic flip from the idea of the perfect, white-picket fence type family. Instead, Matt Groening turned that image on his head, showing that your family doesn't need to be perfect, we all have our issues. After a generation of people who grew up feeling that pressure, the Simpsons provided the relief people wanted in getting rid of that image and living a more free lifestyle. At the type the show originated, the edgy idea of a dysfunctional family took on some hefty criticism, but quickly gained respect in the way they depicted their messages. The jokes, sarcasm, and parody have attracted many viewers by taking problems and turning them into something to laugh at. Multiple age groups are able to relate to the show because of the age range in characters and the different messages that each individual can get out of the show. There's an underlying message of not taking life so seriously, everything will be fine in the end. The show is unique because it takes these sensitive cultural issues and mocks them in a way that is non-threatening, to where people don't (or most don't) get offended by them. It makes people look at life's problems in a different light, seeing another side, and being able to laugh at yourself for how you may be able to relate to it. I think this is why so many people like the show because our world has become so serious. If we can adopt some of those laugh-at-yourself type values into our own lives, people would probably be much more relaxed and far less judgmental. I mean, how much more problematic can we get than Homer, d'oh.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is gonna be a really good topic because there is to much to say about it.Not only can you talk about the start of prime time cartoons, and fox, ad all that good stuff, but then you can talk about how it affected people! I was actually thinking of doing "I Love Lucy" for the same reason, and learning a lot about how it revolutionized shooting TV in com would have been really helpful, but I went with a movie instead. I think The Simpsons is a really good choice for discussing the unraveling of the nuclear family because, being cartoons, they can say things that most people would not get away with, you know? They can be crude and sassy, but because they aren't real people we can forgive them. And that idea of the perfect family, that can solve any issue by the end of an episode, is just not realistic, problems are part of life, and they prove it! I'm excited to read your draft!

    ReplyDelete